Monday, November 18, 2013

Organisms? Organisms where did you go?

Ladies and gentlemen and botany lovers alike, I'm saddened to say that I have let you all down by missing an observation last week. I fell to an incumbent sickness that crippled me to bed. My love for these micro organisms, unfortunately, couldn't out weigh the micro organisms that were bringing my health down and my productivity to an astounding halt. Once again, my deepest regards go out to my followers (or should I say follower... cough cough Marisol).

Any way, I will say that I got a chance to run by the lab this week and see what was cooking in the waters of Atlantis. Also, I've been informed that I can make up the last observation tomorrow!!! I get another week with my organisms! Best news ever or best news ever? Well, without further adieu, I bring you the next installment of: Atlantis, the life of a microaquarium.

In lab on Tuesday, we got to see some organisms that moved around with flagella. Flagella are cool whip-like tails that help the organism move through a medium. Well, in my encounters with Atlantis I stumbled across an organism with a flagellum!! I looked it up and it is called a Stentor (Thorp 2013). Which looked like a big horn with a really long tail.

Despite the sweet find early on, I noticed that things had simmered down significantly. I noticed that the sludge build up had increased and the mosses' foliage color had been dimming even more. Plus, I could only see a few more organisms here and there. Where did they go? I miss them already! I'll be making another observation tomorrow, and I'll let you know if they're alright. Hopefully, all the non photosynthetic organisms didn't eat everyone...

With great disdain and displeasure, this is Hunter Herrin signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment